DC rent increase

Home Forums Governement and Politics DC rent increase

Topic: DC rent increase

Governement and Politics March 7, 2013 at 12:06 pm

DC rent increase

I know that there is a cap on how much my landlord can increase my rent (I believe it is currently at 5.6% for non elderly/non disabled tenents). I am a DC resident in a small apartment building.
But my question is, does that cap only apply if BOTH my roommate and I are staying in the apartment?  She is moving out, and I am staying and signing a new lease with a new roommate.  Since I have been living in this apartment, does the 5.6% cap still apply?  Or since I am signing a new lease with a new person, can they spring a larger than 5.6% increase on me?
thanks!

5 Replies Add Reply

TT

I’m not certain of the answer to your question, but keep in mind that not all apartments are rent-controlled.  The most common exceptions from the rent-control regs are:

Federally or District-subsidized rental units,
 Rental units built after 1975,
 Rental units (including condominium or cooperative units) owned by a natural person who
owns no more than four rental units, provided the rental units are registered as exempt,
 Rental units that were vacant when the Act took effect, and
 Housing accommodations under a building improvement plan and receiving rehabilitation
assistance through DCHD.

See http://och.georgetown.edu/uploadedfiles/rentcontrolfactsheet0409.pdf

I am nearly 100% certain that this building does fall under DC rent-control, it was mentioned when I originally moved in a few years ago.

reading the pamphlet you linked to, it seems like the cap is still in affect since I am staying in the apartment and there isn’t a fully “vacant apartment” at any time.

hope that is the case! thanks

My understanding is that once you have fulfilled the length of your lease in DC, it will automatically turn into a “holdover lease.” This is a month-to-month lease that can’t easily be terminated. Also, you should already know if you’re in a rent-controlled apartment because DC sends documentation yearly to notify you of any rent increases, and this is usually stated in the lease (because of other limitations that typically apply – ie. no subletting). If you sign a new lease, I think that a rent-controlled apt would be legally allowed to raise your rent more than the standard CPI + 2% rate.

I would call legal aid and pose this question. Too many people are taken advantage by landlords in this city because they do not know their rights. I am curious if this is an independent landlord who owns less than three properties or perhaps a complex? Different laws apply in these circumstances. In general, information of rental increases will be in the lease if it was not then that could be in your favor. Also your roommate moving out should not affect your issue because you will remain in the unit and still hold tenant rights; this is the same as when you signed your lease or even if you were squatting in the unit. Last question is whether or not your original lease stated that following the fulfillment of your lease then month to month would apply? If so then I personally would refuse to sign another lease. The contract said month to month and you hold all the rights. Oh tricky landlords!!!

I would call legal aid and pose this question. Too many people are taken advantage by landlords in this city because they do not know their rights. I am curious if this is an independent landlord who owns less than three properties or perhaps a complex? Different laws apply in these circumstances. In general, information of rental increases will be in the lease if it was not then that could be in your favor. Also your roommate moving out should not affect your issue because you will remain in the unit and still hold tenant rights; this is the same as when you signed your lease or even if you were squatting in the unit. Last question is whether or not your original lease stated that following the fulfillment of your lease then month to month would apply? If so then I personally would refuse to sign another lease. The contract said month to month and you hold all the rights. Oh tricky landlords!!!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or