Crossing for visually impaired street sign?

Home Forums Public Safety Crossing for visually impaired street sign?

Topic: Crossing for visually impaired street sign?

Public Safety February 26, 2014 at 9:54 am

Crossing for visually impaired street sign?

Hello all,
I live near a pretty busy intersection in Columbia Heights. While most surrounding intersections are equipped with crosswalk signals, this one is set up as a 4-way stop. Not surprisingly, drivers often blast through the stop and it is a rather precarious area for crossing pedestrians as a result.
The other day, I was approaching the intersection when I noticed a visually impaired gentleman attempting to cross the road. Despite that he was clearly impaired, cars continued to hastily pass through the intersection, making him apprehensive to proceed. I helped him to cross, and have actually seen him a few times since, and I believe he lives just a few houses down from the crossing in question. So my question is, who can I contact about having a “blind pedestrian crossing” sign or something of that nature installed at the intersection? Any leads would be greatly appreciated!


2 Replies Add Reply

I would call 311 or contact DDOT (who I believe are in charge of street signs). Also though your heart is in the right place, don’t expect anyone to jump right on this. There’s probably a “process” for getting things like this done.

Contact your ANC rep.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)


Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or