Cricket wireless – has anyone tried using Cricket for voice/data plans?

Home Forums Travel and Transportation Cricket wireless – has anyone tried using Cricket for voice/data plans?

Topic: Cricket wireless – has anyone tried using Cricket for voice/data plans?

Travel and Transportation January 24, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Cricket wireless – has anyone tried using Cricket for voice/data plans?

cyg

I am finally upgrading to a smart phone, but I am astonished by the prices for the monthly data/voice plans! (I currently have a pay-as-you-go phone w/ AT&T). Quoted $100/month for a plan with AT&T; $90/month for Verizon and $80/month with Sprint while Cricket seems extremely reasonable at $45/month, but I wonder about their coverage in the DC area. Has anyone tried Cricket? I’m suspicious since the rate is so low. 

4 Replies Add Reply

ama

Never used Cricket, but I have been using Virgin Mobile for 3 years now and am completely happy with it. $40/month for unlimited data/texting and 300 talk minutes. I use skype on it more than I actually use the phone.
It doesn’t end up being THAT much cheaper in the long run, because you have to pay for your phone upfront, but they do have some decent androids and the iphone 4S now.

ama

oh, meant to add, VM is owned/operated by Sprint, so the coverage is the same as Sprint’s coverage. No problems in DC – in fact, I have better signal in my apartment than my significant other who has Verizon (and pays 3x what I do a month).

cyg

ama – sounds like a great option! Will look into it — thx for the info!

Ask friends and neighbors about Sprint coverage. What matters is if you have a signal where you spend the most time, it can be very specific. I had Virgin Mobile for awhile, also Sprint network. It was ok, but did not have coverage at my house, so I eventually ditched it. If ATT coverage is ok for you, other less expensive options that use ATT network are Straight Talk, Net10 and numerous others. Also consider buying an “unlocked” phone outright, then choose a carrier seperately and buy a SIM card for that carrier. I have a LG/Google Nexus 4 using Straight Talk for $45 a month and its fine for me. Have tried T-mobile, and data speed is excellent but coverage is too spotty.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or