Commuting with a pet?

Home Forums Travel and Transportation Commuting with a pet?

Topic: Commuting with a pet?

Travel and Transportation January 22, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Commuting with a pet?

I have the option of taking a dog into work, but I take the bus to work.  The dog in question is a small beagle, and WMATA says that it’s fine to take a companion animal on the bus/metro in a secure carrier.  Has anyone had experience traveling with a companion animal like this?  Or know anyone?  

6 Replies Add Reply

I took my cat to her vet on the X2 many times (in a carrier.) It probably will only matter if the ppl on your bus will complain or not care (X2).
I guess it depends on how often you’re going to do it. Have you emailed WMATA directly?

I take my small dog on the bus (X2/90 series) all of the time and have taken him (less often) on the train (even the MARC train, which has the same rule).
The mesh parts of his carrier are pretty tightly woven, so a lot of time people don’t even notice him at first. I think what usually gives me away is the fact that I’m talking to what looks to be a small tote. If people do notice him, that don’t mention it or are positive about it. A lot of people ask what kind of dog he is, whether he minds being in the carrier, etc. The only time I’ve ever had a problem is when there is a dog not in a secure carrier on the train/in the station-typically a guide dog or a police dog, though some people think they don’t need to follow the rules and just carry their pets on in an open purse/bag. Even then, it’s not a big problem, he just kind of goes nuts when he sees the other dog and people who previously didn’t notice him are a little startled when my bag starts moving!
FWIW, this is my carrier: http://www.wag.com/dog/p/petego-boby-bag-113558. I love it, but my dog is pretty tiny (about 6 lbs) and he just fits in it, so it might be a little small for your dog. I fly with my dog (in the cabin only) from time-to-time as well and before I flew with him, the vet advised me to get something that was as close to his size as possible, but that he could still comfortably turn around in-I guess it’s the same theory as the ThunderShirt; dogs like to feel closed in.
Good luck Metroing with your dog! I’m jealous that you’re able to take him to work!

I’ve taken my 10 pound dog on the bus and metro many, many times in a small carrier. I was once asked to get off a bus by a driver, who was unaware of the rules. But after I asked him to call a supervisor, he let me back on. So if a driver gives you a problem, don’t be afraid to speak up!

sv

sv

I’ve taken my cat to the vet on the bus and metro. The carrier looks somewhat like a mesh gym bag and the cat was quiet, so no one noticed at all. I had a printout of the page from Metro’s website saying it was ok, just in case someone raised a question. I have seen people bring small dogs (<10 lbs) on metro in a backpack like carrier with mesh on the sides and top. I think as long as the animal is quiet you shouldn’t have any problems.

Pretty sure my cat weighs about 15lbs. Flown him Southwest across the country several times. The only time they even look towards the carrier is when I tell them I need to pay for a “carry on pet.” At that point they usually just say “awwww, he’s so cute” or something along those lines.
I always bring him on the metro and bus (to get to and from from the airport) and not a single person has ever noticed. Most just assume it is an extra bag/purse…unitl he meows.

I just checked the metro website and cannot find any information about taking pets on metrobuses or on the train.  Could someone provide a link?  i woudl definitely like to take my cat to the vet via bus instead of using a taxi.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or