Colorado Triangle

Home Forums Other Colorado Triangle

Topic: Colorado Triangle

Other December 5, 2012 at 12:08 am

Colorado Triangle

Does anyone know about the ‘Hat Check Shop” business that is scheduled to occupy the space at 14th & Colorado NW? Will this be a restaurant? Its good to know that this corner is being cleaned up after years of neglect……A restaurant will be welcomed in this neighborhood….
The business at the corner of Colorado Ave & Longfellow St NW (a kitchen supply place?) needs to get its act together and clean up its showroom. If I were a potential customer…..I would keep walking…..given that the showroom is a complete EYESORE. I walk past this business quite often. I feel this business is NOT a good fit for the neighborhood. Too bad that another restaurant couldn’t occupy this space….with all those large windows…….

4 Replies Add Reply

I drive by there every day on Longfellow. I get the feeling it is more of an industrial supply shop, supplying to restaurants and such, hence the wierd showroom. I could be wrong, only look quickly while driving by.

safsaf

Copied from the Petworth and Brightwood listserves:

OK!  Here’s the deal on the vacant space at 14th & Colorado Ave., NW: 

We spoke with the building’s owner, Mr. Marcio Campos, who’s very conscientious about protecting the integrity of his building and not wanting to fuel rumors that may bring any “bad light” or unwanted attention to or on the space; and he has advised us, he has no idea who pasted “Coming Soon, The Hat Check” sign on the building’s front window.  

He authorized us, today, to remove it and we did; along with a 1/2-dozen or more “$200 for your Junk Car” signs put up on poles along 14th, from Jefferson to Longfellow, sometime this morning.

What Mr. Campos has been able to tell me — back during the 3rd week of October 2012 — is that he has signed a long-term lease with a restaurateur, who, for the time being, has him under a confidentiality/non-disclosure agreement, not to expose who it is or what type of restaurant it is going to be, but is allowed to reveal that this location will be the restaurateur’s second, in the WDC arena.

There were contractors there, a few months ago, during the summer, completing permitted work; fixing a gaping hole on the first floor, looking down into the basement and leveling the floor, from front to back.  That’s why, when you viewed the photo on the blog posted yesterday — for those of you who saw it — you see a DCRA issued Postcard Permit affixed to the window, right next to the “Coming Soon / The Hat Check” sign, also posted on the window. That work has been completed.  

Once built-out, the facility will be an open atrium-type, 2-level restaurant, where patrons can visibly see each other, up or down, depending on where you are seated.  I am told, the new owners will first opt for outdoor/sidewalk seating, before adding on any roof-top seating.  Roof-top dining may come after the first or second year, depending on their initial success. 

Hope this has been helpful.  If there are any additional questions or concerns we can answer, please don’t hesitate to contact us on or off-list. 

Taalib-Din Uqdah
1-4 UBA / SPOT TEAM

So, 4 months later and there’s still NO progress on this building.  It’s a HUGE eyesore to the neighborhood with it’s broken windows, boarded up windows, garbage inside, etc.  If there are laws in the District about not letting grass get too long, how are there not laws preventing this kind of eyesore in a neighborhood that, otherwise, is really taking off? 

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or