Child Care for two working parents

Home Forums Children Child Care for two working parents

Topic: Child Care for two working parents

Children December 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

Child Care for two working parents

We are expecting our first kid in May 2013 and recently realized we’re way behind on setting up child care services.  We’re probably open to an au pair, nanny or some combination – any recommendations or companies/places to avoid?  Thanks!

5 Replies Add Reply

a_wa_w

We are quite happy with La Petite Acadamy in DC. The teachers are all great. Our son has been going there for 9 months and he is very comfortable. We got in on short notice, I’d suggest a visit to see if it’s right for you. 

If you’re on the Hill, you can join MOTH, which has insane amounts of information regarding childcare.  From your name, I’m guessing you’re not – you can try the DC Urban Moms and Dads website and click on the tab “nanny forums.”  You can also put an ad out in a paper for a nanny or use Craig’s list and start interviewing (we did that before we got into the daycare at my office, which we love – it’s for employees only).  Also, don’t be shy about approaching pregnant women you see around your neighborhood and asking what they’re doing – they’re most likely in a similar situation, and you may find yourself a family to set up a nanny share with (which we also did). 
Good luck!  I know this can be a very stressful thing to figure out.  While you may be “behind” with respect to daycare (this varies from each one), you are early for setting up a nanny – those mostly happen closer to when you actually need care to start.

We have been happy with a place at Ontario and Columbia called David’s Stars.  Our son has been there since 3-ish? months old.  The day care seems pretty structured and the ‘teachers’ are very nice.  They went to some effort to get NAEYC certification last year.  They speak Spanish there all the time, if that is a plus for you.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hello,
My name is Beth, I am a mother of two girls and a wife. I have been a registered high risk sonographer for more than 10 years. I recently started my company, Baby Joy 3d/4d ultrasound,in the Washington DC metropolitan area. My business has been featured in the local newspapers and on WTOP radio as being the first and only mobile ultrasound services in the area. My service is not to be confused with diagnostic ultrasound which is used to rule out abnormalities. It is only for the families keepsake purposes. The goal is to give the mother and her family share the excitement of seeing their unborn child in their comfortable setting rather than in a sterile and impersonal doctor’s office. I just love to see the families reaction when they find out the gender of their unborn baby as early as 15 weeks. I strive to be well equipped to make the experience as enjoyable as possible. This includes television hookups, the use of my projector if desired. The family get both color and black and white photograph printouts. The family also gets DVD with a 3D clip of their baby in motion. This is all done in a very affordable price. The families that have receceived my service felt they bonded with their unborn baby more and left in such a state of excitement. For more information go to http://www.babyjoy3d.com.
Thank you for reading my story.
Beth

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or