Bloody Attack on Metro (Union Station/NoMa)

Home Forums Public Safety Bloody Attack on Metro (Union Station/NoMa)

Topic: Bloody Attack on Metro (Union Station/NoMa)

Public Safety December 21, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Bloody Attack on Metro (Union Station/NoMa)

While riding home from work today (5:15 pm or so) I entered the first car on the red line train at Union Station. As soon as I got on I noticed the large group of youths by the door seemed especially wound-up so I moved to the front of the train to put some distance between us. Sure enough not long after we pulled away two of them egged each other on to attack a passenger. They yelled at a guy to give them his bag and then just starting wailing on him. The poor guy never resisted or fought back, which I think was a good thing. There were only four of five of us at least on my side of the group and I felt so helpless. I knocked on the driver’s door and yelled through the door crack to stop the train at NoMA and call the police. The guy got up to move away at one point and another kid threw a punch that knocked him out for a few minutes. He eventually got up and came down to us at the front of the train while the kids carried on. The driver kept the doors locked for a little while which freaked the kids out and they moved between trains trying to get away. The cops grabbed some kids getting off eventually but I don’t think it was the right ones. Hopefully they give up who their friends were. The paramedics told us the guy had a broken jaw. He also had no memory of the event and kept asking us what happened.

His head was all bruised and his face was swollen beyond recognition and we were wiping away the blood from his mouth. All on our ride home, out of nowhere.

Know how to get the driver’s attention on a train and stay clear of the rowdy groups of kids. I thought metro could have done a better job shutting down the station, also. I am pretty sure the assailants got away on a train going the other direction.

1 Replies Add Reply

There’s an emergency red button which is an intercom to contact the train conductor/operator. Yes they answer it and they can hear you. I saw a young lady use it once.

“On a Metrorail train, use the emergency intercom at either end of the car to contact the train operator. Emergency instructions are posted inside each rail car next to the center doors.”

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or