Bacon Funeral Home Status Update?

Home Forums Local News Bacon Funeral Home Status Update?

Topic: Bacon Funeral Home Status Update?

Local News September 17, 2012 at 11:27 am

Bacon Funeral Home Status Update?

I know ANC 1A held an update on the Bacon Funeral Home last week at their monthly meeting.  The minutes just say:
“Deidre Lee, office manager of Bacon Funeral Home, gave a status update on the business’ construction plans, the status of its condemnation hearing, and answered community questions,” which frankly doesn’t say much.  Did anyone attend and find out more about what is going on? 

1 Replies Add Reply

From New Columbia Heights (
“At the recent ANC 1A meeting there was a presentation from Bacon Funeral Home. As you may recall, Bacon has been building a new facility next to their existing one at 3447 14th Street NW. The new building has been under construction, if you want to call it that, for I don’t know how many years now and nothing has been done to it in forever. It’s a cinder block eyesore and to put it charitably, it looks like shit.

So I was glad to see that there was an agenda item at the meeting with an update. I wasn’t able to go unfortunately, but ANC 1A05 commish Laina Aquiline provided a summary.

Basically, Deidre Lee, Bacon’s office manager, talked about problems they’ve had with contractor credentials, the city’s Dept. of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA), financing, and the change in ownership/management to a young generation of the family. All have contributed to the delays. 

The DC Building Authority has given them a 60-day stay for them to get their act together or the city will condemn or “remedy” (as in fix up or knock down, I believe) the building. Bacon’s plan is to demolish the existing facility (the one that’s open) and replace it with a parking lot. Obviously this doesn’t sound like an ideal plan.”

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or