backyard gutter

Home Forums General Discussion backyard gutter

Topic: backyard gutter

General Discussion April 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm

backyard gutter

The gutter in the back of my rowhouse goes to a downspout then into a plastic “pipe” that goes under the patio, then who knows were……there seems to a a clog somewhere under the patio or wherever the undergorund drainage goes.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Do I need to dig up the patio?  Can I just reroute the drain pipe into the alley in back of my house?  Any help would be a help!

4 Replies Add Reply

You can try to unclog the pipe yourself with a snake, hose attachment made for busting up clogs, or maybe drano.

Or you can call in a plumbing company with some fancy cameras and better equipment. You may need to replace pipe if it’s really bad (tree roots growing in?), but in general, clogs can be busted up.

Does the pipe go under the patio close to the house? It probably connects to your main house drain. The way these old drains work – very similar to a toilet – there is always standing water in the backyard drain, to prevent noxious gas from traveling out and stinking up the place. I found a diagram in an old plumbing manual once – will post it if I can find it again. The pipe may be clay, and broken. Best thing you can do is reroute your gutter into a rain garden. if that’s not possible, into a rain barrel or the alley. But if you see standing water in the drain, that’s normal.

If you’re getting flooding in your yard as a result, temporarily reroute the downspout to go into your yard, and then as suggested try busting out clog with a hose and a spray attachement on the end (the type that send a sharp stream.  If no luck, call a plumber with camera as suggested and determine whether it’s worth having it fixed based on cost.

We had the same problem and a plumber had a look and told us we needed to reroute the drain which was going to involve tearing up part of the deck. He wouldn’t even try to snake it. A contractor who was doing some other stuff for us gave us an estimate for the rerouting but agreed to try to snake it first–initially he didn’t have any luck with the snake he brought so went out and rented a heavy-duty one and was able to clear it although it took a few hours because of all the debris and roots in there.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or