Asbestos in Basement: Happy Ending

Home Forums Home and Garden Asbestos in Basement: Happy Ending

Topic: Asbestos in Basement: Happy Ending

Home and Garden July 13, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Asbestos in Basement: Happy Ending

Last week I posted a question here about what to do with a basement that seemed to be covered with asbestos floor tiles. In brief, my partner and I had been told by a contractor that the old, cracking tiles definitely had asbestos in them, and the label on the boxes of tile seemed to confirm his conviction. Since we’re about to renovate the basement, we have to deal with the tiles: either get them removed or cover them.

Well, it turns out that the contractor was wrong. Right before we intended to call asbestos removal companies to get a cost estimate (not yet sure we’d actually pay for this), we decided to take another look at the boxes of old tile. On second inspection, the font on the boxes didn’t look so old – definitely not from the 50’s or 60’s, as the contractor had suggested – and the blurry label didn’t actually say anything about those specific tiles containing asbestos, but rather about existing tiles. We also managed to find the name and model number for the tiles and called the manufacturer to find out when they were manufactured: between 2002 and 2006, a friendly customer service rep informed us, which is long after the company stopped making tiles with asbestos, he said.

All’s well that ends well. Thanks for the thoughtful advice, in any case! Next time we’ll know to be more careful when reading product labels and when getting opinions from contractors.

You must be logged in to view attached files.

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or