Are there *REAL* Kaiser Rolls in DC?

Home Forums Food and Dining Are there *REAL* Kaiser Rolls in DC?

Topic: Are there *REAL* Kaiser Rolls in DC?

Food and Dining January 2, 2012 at 10:46 am

Are there *REAL* Kaiser Rolls in DC?

Perhaps I’m living in the past, but is there anyplace in DC that still sells real, old-fashioned Kaiser rolls?  They had a slightly hard crust, and were somewhat like a croissant inside.  What is called “Kaiser” or “hard roll” these days is like stale white bread, and nothing at all like what my grandfather (a professional baker) made, or even what you could still find around here until the late 1990s.  The clerks at places like Marvelous and Firehook thought I was from an alternate reality when I asked them.  “Oh, no, these are the *genuine* Kaiser rolls…they aren’t supposed to have a hard crust.  You must be thinking of ciabatta rolls.”

4 Replies Add Reply

There’s a place in Bethesda – I forget its name, but it’s in the same plaza as Strosneider’s Hardware on Arlington Road.

If you find one let me know.  I’ve been here 11 years and not found such a place.  I think this is a syndrome in DC with real anything.  Can you find a “real” bagel?  No.  Can you find “real” NY pizza?  No.  Can you find a real kosher deli?  No.  Can you find a “real” philly cheesesteak? No.  Can you find “real” filipino food? No. I think “real” and “DC” are at odds with one another when it comes to food from other places.  I realize a roll is not the same as a cuisine, but kind of like a bagel.  And bakeries in general do not seem to be a thing DC does well, when it does it at all (I’m talking greater DC).   This is opposed to Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx, or South or NE Philly, or any of a number of other NE cities where you have various long-time ethnic populations where great bakeries have been a staple in every neighborhood.

Ha! My European boyfriend lives and dies by real Kaiser rolls. Would love to find a place in DC that does these right. Has anyone tried them at the German/Austrian places such as Cafe Mozart or Cafe Leopold?

I’ve found decent ones at Safeway, of all places.  We go to the one in SW, so I can’t recommend the other locations.  The individual bakery rolls, not the prepackaged ones.  IMO, the best I’ve been able to find in the city.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or