Advice for a DC newbie?

Home Forums General Discussion Advice for a DC newbie?

Topic: Advice for a DC newbie?

General Discussion June 9, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Advice for a DC newbie?

So I recently moved to DC…as in two days ago. I’m super pumped about it, but a little overwhelmed.

Y’all have been so helpful over the last few weeks as I prepared for the move. I’ve been reading PoPville every night and searching some of the forums for answers to my questions.

But now I’d like to know–what should this DC newbie do? What do y’all wish you had known/done differently when you moved here?

I found a place in the 4500 block of Connecticut Ave, so I’m a little out of the way of everything. But I’m really looking forward to checking out some of the more interesting neighborhoods in DC. (Not that N. Cleveland Park isn’t “interesting.”)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

3 Replies Add Reply

i think living social/groupon are great ways to find new things to do in DC. also, just wander. pick a metro stop, find 1 or 2 things that are interesting near by, and just wander around and see what you see. (this is how i like to visit new cities) join a team, club, or group. if you’re single, online dating is great too. almost no one is “from” DC, we’re almost all transplants. welcome!

It depends on what you’re interested in doing.

I’m not sure how old you are, but I definitely recommend joining a social sports league. I’ve met some good friends that way. Personally, I’m partial to bocce and skeeball–kickball was okay for one season, but I’m not the kind of person whose main interest is to get wasted on cheap beer every weekend. (That being said, if that’s your thing, then you will meet a lot of like-minded people–totally nothing wrong with it!)

I started dating someone that I met online only a month or two after moving to DC. While I don’t necessarily regret it, we eventually broke up, and all of his friends that had become my friends weren’t my friends anymore, and I had to start over. So I’d recommend solidifying a couple of main hangs first, just in case.

When I was looking to meet new people, I also tried Meetup. None of the groups were particularly up my alley, so I started my own. I met a couple of people through that who are now my close friends, so you might consider that too. I recently joined a women in their mid-20s female friends group there, and I enjoyed it the few times I went.

If you’re interested in a fun night out that isn’t all bros, I’d try H Street, Columbia Heights, and U Street. I think H Street is particularly fun, though it’s kind of a trek from where you are.

I’m happy to make more suggestions if you’re interested!

@ ohyeahofcourse — That’s super helpful, thank you! I had no idea there was such a thing as a skeeball social sports league. Def. have to check that out. Plus the part about not jumping to quickly into a relationship and just making friends with his. Sounds like something I’d do. Many, many thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or