14th Street Commercial Zone for home owners?

Home Forums General Discussion 14th Street Commercial Zone for home owners?

Topic: 14th Street Commercial Zone for home owners?

General Discussion December 15, 2012 at 10:57 am

14th Street Commercial Zone for home owners?

I am interested in buying a condo around the 14th and U Street area. Specifically, the new multi-use buildings that are coming soon.  
I found out that those condos are commercially zoned because of a zoning overlay.  Does this mean that if I buy on the 7th floor I am governed by commerical laws?  For example, if I have a noise issue with a neighbor, I have to consult commercial rules?  
Why aren’t the condos governed by residential laws?

4 Replies Add Reply

“For example, if I have a noise issue with a neighbor, I have to consult commercial rules?”
Yep, but also remember, that even in commercial districts the noise ordinances in DC are really strict. Also, if the offending neighbor is also a condo owner, it can be dealt with through a condo board.

Have you talked to a real estate agent about this?  As far as I’m aware, just because a building is mixed-use doesn’t mean that the condo portion is commercially zoned.

I got the information from a real estate agent.  Apparently there is a commercial rules overlay that imposes commercial rules on the 14th and U area — it was done to promote business revitalization.  But the consequences of it now means that the entire mixed-use building (if in the overlay) is governed by commercial law.  And if the condo laws defer to DC law, it is commerical law that govern.

only comment is when i bought a commercially zoned freestanding home for 100% residential use, I had to constantly fight the utilities to not chanrge me commercial rates (which are 2x).  eventually i settled the matter but it was a pain bc utilities tend to match the zoning with the rate

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or