– Find routes that have bike lanes or aren’t busy. If you have to ride on a busy road take up the full lane if you need to. It’s your right and it’s much safer than having cars squeeze by you.
– Ride a car’s door length away from parked cars at all times.
– Be chill. That’s my motto. If you gain 30 seconds getting to your destination by risking your life, is it worth it?
– Know when to go slow. When there are a lot of people around, when you’re splitting a lane (riding between rows of stationary cars at a red light) or it’s just hectic, go slow so that if something happens, you can react/you won’t get hurt badly.
– Be visible by wearing brightly colored clothes, using reflective tape and plenty of lights.
– Be courteous.
– Be confident. You can do this. I promise!
As others said, WABA is a fantastic resource.