View Larger Map
Last week we learned of plans for a German beer garden for 919 U Street, NW. Turns out another one could be on the way to Shaw as well. Thanks to a reader for sending word and details distributed to neighbors in advance of an ANC 6E meeting tonight [Wednesday, June 5, 2013, at 6:30 PM at the Watha T.Daniel/Shaw Library, 1630 7th Street, NW, in the lower level meeting room]. The ANC commissioner writes:
“Dacha Beer Garden proposes to transform the long-vacant parking lot at the northwest corner of 7th and Q Streets, NW, into an outdoor eating and drinking establishment, similar to The Standard, at the northeast corner of 14th and S Streets, NW.”
Following are details for the proposed Dacha Beer Garden:
Our goal is to create a pleasant, green and beautiful neighborhood beer garden serving world-class brews and tasty, organic food to our community. We will strive to be an exemplary small business, an active participant in the life of the community, and a good neighbor.
DACHA in Russian and German means a small summerhouse with a garden.
We will serve carefully selected, premium German and Belgium brews along with organic, antibiotics- free sausages and delicious home fries – all at affordable prices. Our beer selection will greatly determine the character of DACHA. For example, many of our beers will come from Weihenstephan Brewery– the oldest brewery in the world. Unlike commonly known pub selections that invite a certain type of customers and behavior, our beers will set the mood for a pleasant conversation among friends and families. It is important to mention that we will be serving beer, not liquor.
We have planned DACHA with neighbors and community in mind. We will go to great lengths to minimize noise and inconveniences for our immediate neighbors.
• All our beers will be served on draft. This means there will not be any noisy bottle disposal. Beer will be served in glassware, while food will be served on disposable paper plates along with disposable, biodegradable plastic utensils.
• All food will be pre-cooked off-site and reheated on-site. This practice will ensure minimal levels of kitchen smells.
• Thoughtfully selected and abundant plants, such as lilacs, wisterias, hydrangeas and many others will further create an atmosphere of a pleasant retreat from the bustle of the city and from heat. Furthermore, plants are great noise barriers. That is another reasons why we would like to have as many plants on site as possible.
• There will be no music after 10pm. And the music before 10pm (if any) will be pleasant, low- volume, ambient tunes that will not make customers raise their voices.
• There will be no dancing, no DJs and no live performances.
• We are going to share trash removal service with the adjacent restaurant; thus, no additional trash pick up in the neighborhood.
• The staff will consist of trained waiters, bartenders, a manager on duty and a guard. The list of their duties will include among other items:
- No tolerance for lack of ID or fraudulent IDs
- Swift and discreet handling of customers who may have had a bit too much
- No tolerance for leaving premises with beverages in hand
• We aim to provide more than enough bathroom facilities for our customers. The site will have an ADA compliant bathroom along with 2 additional non-ADA bathrooms.
• We will provide a free Wi-Fi access point.
Seating Capacity – 112 (subject to change per final permits)
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday— 4pm to 11pm
Friday— 4pm to 12am
Saturday-Sunday— 12pm to 12am
Take a look at some of the proposed beers and food after the jump. (more…)