“D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray on Monday announced that he will seek a second term, bringing a sudden end to months of uncertainty over whether corruption surrounding his last campaign would keep him from running for reelection.”
“The following message applies only to October 17, 2013
Open. Employees are expected to return for work on their next regularly scheduled work day (Thursday, October 17th for most employees), absent other instructions from their employing agencies.
Due to the enactment of a continuing resolution, Federal government operations are open. Employees are expected to return for work on their next regularly scheduled work day (Thursday, October 17th for most employees), absent other instructions from their employing agencies. Agencies are strongly encouraged to use all available workplace flexibilities to ensure a smooth transition back to work for employees (e.g. telework, work schedule flexibilities, and excused absence for hardship situations).”
From the Mayor’s office:
“Mayor Vincent C. Gray today thanked congressional leaders and the President for including, in their deal to raise the debt ceiling and reopen the federal government, a provision securing the District’s ability to spend its own local funds throughout Fiscal Year 2014 regardless of possible future federal government shutdowns this year.”
“Good morning, Federal Government! Nice to have you back aboard! @Metrorailinfo has returned to the normal mix of 8 and 6-car trains. #wmata”
“Tractor-trailer drivers will intentionally clog the inner loop of the Washington, D.C., beltway beginning on the morning of Oct. 11, according to a coordinator of the upcoming “Truckers Ride for the Constitution” rally.”
“The comments to U.S. News were designed to do one thing and one thing only: stir the feather of the mainstream media,” said Conlon, a father of three. “Nothing gets the attention of the mainstream media like some sort of disastrous threat. I knew it was going to ruffle some feathers.”
Thanks to PoPville reader ‘horseshoe’ for sending:
“I was a little surprised to see how few demonstrators (10 when I was there around 1pm) there were on Day 1 of the shutdown. It was calm and although there were few they had a strong presence (smack dab in the bright sun!). The demonstrators were sitting on the steps; there were a couple news channels interviewing people but mostly there were just tourists getting their photo opps and enjoying the weather.”
“Anyone who’s ever walked or rode a bike by the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue has noticed an addition to Lafayette Park that city designers hadn’t envisioned: a small tent, sandwiched between two yellow signs calling for an end to nuclear proliferation.
It has stood there since 1981. But at around 1:45 a.m. Thursday, it was taken down.”
Update from Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton’s office:
Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC) today had staff call the U.S. Park Police after learning that Concepcion Picciotto’s peace vigil was removed from its location in front of the White House last night. Following the call from Norton’s office, the Park Police agreed to the return of the vigil, and Picciotto was informed where it had been taken and how to get access to get it, and supporters have taken her to retrieve her belongings. The vigil, which has stood in front of the White House for more than 30 years, was removed under Park Service rules, when left unattended last night or early this morning by an activist who was to remain with the vigil for Picciotto.
“I appreciate that the Park Police have worked with us to defuse a growing controversy about the removal of Concepcion Picciotto’s belongings,” said Norton. “She is well known for her willingness to engage in principled activism at considerable personal costs. She and her friends and allies have abided by the rules, and this single mishap by a fellow activist should not torpedo her longstanding vigil. In this city, we work together to find solutions.”
“Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC) today wrote to Secret Service Director Julia Pierson requesting an immediate meeting following the organizational breakdown at yesterday’s 50th anniversary celebration of the March on Washington on the National Mall. A security checkpoint backup at the general public entrance resulted in many marchers unable to enter the event and long lines in the heat and rain, with reported hospitalizations. Though the area is generally under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service (NPS), Norton was informed that due to the nature of the event, the Secret Service was tasked with security operations and was therefore responsible for the “the massive failure to organize, prepare and coordinate to receive visitors at yesterday’s 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington,” as she wrote in her letter.
Norton, in her letter, continued, “The congestion at the security check point at the general public entrance to the event caused huge lines and wait times, which left visitors, many of them elderly, frustrated and even ill and overcome by the heat and rain…Because I meet with the Secret Service and other agencies on planning for inaugurations, I am well aware of the standards for effectively controlling large crowds, which your agency is capable of meeting. I am, therefore, very disappointed that you failed to prevent an organizational breakdown that was entirely unnecessary.”
Earlier in the week it was learned that ANC 5B03 had become vacant. This seat was held by Tiffany Bridge and represented a section of Brookland. She briefly explained to the Brookland listserv why she decided to step down. It is among the more depressing posts I’ve ever read:
The seat has come open because I have chosen to step down.
The short version is, I have different ideas from the other commissioners about what, at a practical level, constitutes openness and transparency in local government. Which wouldn’t be a problem by itself (we’re all accountable at the ballot box for the kind of elected official we are, after all, and I don’t believe in telling other elected officials how to represent their districts), but the practical upshot had turned out to be: a lawsuit filed against the ANC for failing to honor a FOIA request, to which I am a party simply because I was on the ANC at the time; my subsequent lack of confidence that I wouldn’t get dragged into those kinds of shenanigans in the future by continuing to be part of that body; and personal abusiveness leveled at me from other commissioners because of my belief that our constituents are entitled to know what we’re up to and why.
I’m sorry to not complete my term- I hate being a quitter more than almost anything- but I could no longer ignore that being confident in the principles guiding my own behavior wasn’t going to be enough to keep me from getting dragged into nonsense I don’t want to be associated with.
So I’ve decided this isn’t something I can continue with. I will continue to look for other ways to serve the Brookland community that are more appropriate for me and look forward to seeing you all out and about at neighborhood events. In the meantime, I’d be happy to discuss ANC service with anyone who is interested in running for this seat.