2 Alarm Fire at 12th and U Street, NW


A reader reports:

“Two alarm fire on the 1100 block of U St. Not sure what the cause is, but there are a ton of responders out. As always, I’m thankful for our DC firefighters.”

Update another reader says this is at the Lincoln:


10 Comment

  • Looks like the fire is on the inner courtyard of the building. I wonder if such building designs hamper response times? The trucks can’t directly get to the unit on fire.

  • This is actually at the “Old Thompson’s Dairy” location not the Lincoln !

  • The Lincoln Condo is still closed. Apparently a whole tier of of the building burned. The Red Cross is on site.

  • Right after these were built about 10-15 years ago, I considered buying a unit. But it was clear even to my then-untrained eye that the building materials were of poor quality. It doesn’t surprise me that there was a problem.

    • It’s my understanding that there was an unauthorized propane-powered gas grill which caught fire. DC building code states that gas grills need to be installed on top of a non-flammable surface and be at least 10 feet away from from any combustible surfaces.

      While the building might not be terribly aesthetically pleasing, I don’t think this fire was the result of poor quality materials.

      Luckily the fire/smoke damage appears to be fairly limited (at least from the outside), but I’m wondering how much water damage the surrounding units sustained.

  • The American Red Cross is providing disaster assistance to residents who are displaced by the disaster ($125 per household member). Red Cross volunteers have been processing requests from a conference room at the apartment building across the street, and will continue to process requests every evening this week from the Red Cross office located at 2025 E Street NW. For more information, please call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).

Comments are closed.