Temporary Vehicle Registration?

Photo by PoPville flickr user nevermindtheend

“Dear PoPville,

Do you know if DC offers temporary registration? I’ve been a DC resident for 9 years and my registration expires on September 3. I am moving to Maryland on September 15th. Is there anything I can do to avoid paying for another full year of registration from DC?”

14 Comment

  • They do, but I don’t think it applies in your circumstance. Temporary registration is usually for someone who wants to move his or her car into DC but doesn’t have a permanent plate somewhere else, or who buys a car from a dealer who’s authorized to issue one (although I think that all the used car dealers in DC had that authority revoked a while ago). I suspect you’re out of luck.

    • Just had a thought: Can you get a temporary Maryland tag by having your new lease (or whatever) extended on the front end on paper only? Then get a 2-week visitor’s permit from MPD and you should be OK on the parking front.

    • And it looks like you should get some (half?) of your money back if you wind up having to register for a full year. From the DMV’s website:

      “When cancelling your tags, you may be eligible for a refund for the unused portion of your vehicle registration. The system will calculate how much time is remaining on your registration and determine if you are eligible for a refund, based on a six month increment and not to exceed eighteen months.

      For example, a refund can be issued if you have six months remaining on a 1 year or 2 year registration and a refund can be issued if you have 12 or 18 months remaining on a 2 year vehicle registration.”

  • Mike

    I was rcently given a 7-day extension because the DMV could not complete the request that day. I’m not sure if there is any way to specifically request this extension, though. Good luck out there!

  • My friend moved from MD into DC and to his surprise, the state refunded part of his “unused” registration when he turned his tags in

  • I’ve gotten a refund when I’ve sold my car before so I think its the same if you move.

  • Go to a police station and get a temp parking pass for the two weeks.

  • Yup, they refund it, and iin my experence have tracked it pretty well, though it took a while.

  • Unless you plan to drive it illegally for 12 days (bad idea), you need to bite the bullet for a one year renewal.
    One suggestion: Unlike a lot of states, it looks like MD gives new residents a full 60 days to register. To get the best of your money’s worth (and put off your MD renewal as far as possible), I’d keep the DC plates as long possible and only re-register near the end of that period.

  • I can’t speak for DC, but when I lived in MD and donated my car a few months into the year, they refunded me for the unused months of my registration. I’m pretty sure that’s par for the course.

  • You could just register the car in Maryland early. Maryland does not require you to be a Maryland resident in order to register a car there; you can register it with your DC license and DC address.

Comments are closed.