This week WaTPMoHatD checks out Francis Asbury located at the conversion of Adams Morgan/Mt. Pleasant/Columbia Heights between 16th and Mt. Pleasant St, NW. Francis Asbury, not to be confused with Asbury Francis Lever, was:
“one of the first two bishops of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States. As a young man in October 1771, the Englishman traveled to America and, during his 45 years there, he devoted his life to ministry, traveling on horseback and by carriage thousands of miles to those living on the frontier.
Asbury spread Methodism in America, as part of the Second Great Awakening. He also founded several schools during his lifetime, although his own formal education was limited. His journal is valuable to scholars for its account of frontier society.”
Interesting – one of the few non military honorees on horseback.
More info on this particular sculpture:
“The sculpture was founded by Roman Bronze Works in New York City. The piece was erected by the Francis Asbury Memorial Foundation and was approved by Congress on February 29, 1919. It was dedicated on October 15, 1924 and cost $50,000. On the proper left side of the sculpture, near the base, it is signed “Augustus Lukeman Sc 1921.”