Horrifying and Incredibly Sad – “Ms. Frazier’s body was thrown into a dumpster, and it is now believed to be somewhere in one or two landfills in rural Virginia”

pain sculpture

From MPD:

Johnnie Sweet, 19, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 52 years in prison for first-degree felony murder and other charges in the August 2010 kidnapping and slaying of 18-year-old Latisha Frazier, announced U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. and Cathy L. Lanier, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

Sweet was found guilty by a jury in April 2013, following a trial in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, of first-degree felony murder with aggravating circumstances; firstdegree
premeditated murder with aggravating circumstances; kidnapping, and tampering with physical evidence. He was sentenced by the Honorable Russell F. Canan. According to the government’s evidence, Sweet was one of the leaders of a group of six young men and women who took part in the murder of Ms. Frazier.

Ms. Frazier vanished on Aug. 2, 2010. For months, her family relentlessly sought to find her, passing out flyers and contacting local news stations to publicize her disappearance. In late January 2011, one witness finally stepped forward and contacted the Metropolitan Police Department, revealing the truth of Ms. Frazier’s whereabouts.

On the day of her disappearance, the government’s evidence showed, Ms. Frazier had been brutally murdered by a group of six young men and women (ages 16 to 23), all of whom she believed to be her friends. The group had suspected – with little evidence – that Ms. Frazier had stolen about $900 from Sweet. Sweet recruited others and exacted a plan of revenge in which they would call her over to an apartment where they claimed to be socializing.

When Ms. Frazier arrived at the apartment in the 1700 block of Trenton Place SE, the group took her to a small bedroom where Sweet and others punched, kicked, and stomped her all over her body. Ignoring her pleas for them to stop, they bound her in duct tape, taped a pillowcase over her head so she could not scream, and shoved her in a small, dark closet. When she screamed and moaned, one of the members of the group placed her in a sleeper hold to “put her to sleep.” Later, the group discovered that she had died.

To dispose of the body, Sweet helped carry her to the bathtub, where he and his friends attempted to dismember her. That evening, Ms. Frazier’s body was thrown into a dumpster, and it is now believed to be somewhere in one or two landfills in rural Virginia.

Of a total of seven people charged with various offenses, six former co-defendants have pled guilty. They include Brian Gaither, 25, who has been sentenced to a 32-year prison term after pleading guilty to first-degree murder; Laurence Kamal Hassan, 24, who has been sentenced to 18 years in prison for second-degree murder and kidnapping; Cinthya Proctor, 21, who has been sentenced to 21 years in prison for second-degree murder, kidnapping and conspiracy to commit evidence tampering; Anneka Nelson, 19, who pled guilty to second-degree murder and kidnapping; Lanee Bell, 20, who pled guilty to kidnapping, and Antoine McCullough, 27, who pled guilty to conspiracy to commit evidence tampering. Bell, Nelson and McCullough are awaiting sentencing.

In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen and Chief Lanier praised the work of those who investigated the case for the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), including detectives from the Major Case/Cold Case Squad and the Seventh District.

They also expressed appreciation for the efforts of those who handled the case for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Larry Grasso of the Criminal Intelligence Unit, Victim/Witness Advocate Marcia Rinker, and Paralegal Specialists Kwasi Fields, Phaylyn Hunt, and Angela Lawrence. Finally, they thanked Assistant U.S. Attorneys Christopher R. Kavanaugh and Melinda Williams, who prosecuted the case.”

7 Comment

  • Gee, thanks for posting. Happy Friday everybody!

  • andy

    Sad story. Homicide Watch has been reporting the details as the defendants work their way through the justice system over the past few years. Sad to see what should have been a minor dispute over a relatively small amount of money lead to death and lives in jail.

  • I remember reading about this when the investigation was in its early stages. The family of the victim really weighs on my mind. This young woman died horribly and I can’t imagine how the family can cope knowing that their loved one’s final resting place is likely a landfill. Their pain must be unreal and I truly wish them peace.

  • If there has EVER been a compelling argument for bringing back the death penalty in DC, I just read it….

    • Agreed. While I have never been pro-death penalty and am generally in favor of less harsh sentences and rehabilitation opportunities for crimes that are nonviolent, have serious mitigating circumstances, or were perhaps committed in a moment of lapsed judgment by young people who could someday turn their lives around…there are some things that are so vicious and depraved and remorseless that the perpetrators shouldn’t ever get a second chance.

  • I am not and will not ever be a proponent of the death penalty. But how can this guy NOT have received life in prison? Preferably with no parole possibility? I know he is 19, but we are talking about pre-meditated murder, and this wasn’t even a plea deal (at least then giving some incentive to plea is understandable). First degree felony murder with aggravating circumstances conviction should be life in prison, hands down. With parole this guy could be out well before his sentence expires, meaning he could live several decades as a free man. Meanwhile, the victim’s family will never be able to get her back. The sentences given out in violent crimes in D.C. courts are ridiculously light (similar situation with the guys who bashed the guy’s skull in who were recently sentenced far-too-lightly). Almost anywhere else in the country, this kid is lucky to get life in prison.

Comments are closed.