Photo by PoPville flickr user beno2015
The ongoing effort to rebuild and upgrade the Metrorail system to provide safer and more reliable service will continue over the weekend of February 8-10 on the Red and Orange lines. The work will begin at 10 p.m. Friday and continue through system closing on Sunday.
• Red Line trains will single track through two work zones: between Shady Grove and Twinbrook, and between Rhode Island Ave and Takoma to allow for platform reconstruction, track maintenance and third-rail upgrades.
• Throughout the weekend, Red Line trains between Shady Grove and Glenmont will operate every 24 minutes.
• Between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, additional Red Line trains will operate between Grosvenor and NoMa-Gallaudet, providing service about every 10 minutes between those stations.
• Customers traveling through either work zone should add about 15 minutes to their travel time.
• Orange Line trains will single track through two work zones: between Ballston and West Falls Church for rail joint elimination and fastener renewal, and between Stadium-Armory and Cheverly for platform reconstruction.
• Orange Line trains will operate every 24 minutes throughout the weekend.
• Customers should add 15-20 minutes to their travel time.