Carbon Monoxide Death in ParkView Sunday

View Larger Map

On Sunday afternoon @dcfireems sent the word on twitter:

“@dcfireems: 3318 Warder St NW – CO leak – malf furnace – 1 adult male DOA, 2 adult females evaluated by EMS w CO poisionig”

WUSA 9 writes:

When emergency workers arrived the woman was disoriented and they detected high levels of carbon monoxide inside the home. Piringer says a woman found upstairs was unconscious and a man found in the basement was unconscious and not breathing. He says the man was pronounced dead at the home.

Piringer says the likely cause of the high carbon monoxide levels is a malfunctioning furnace in the basement.

A reader who sends in the article implores people to please have their furnaces checked regularly and carbon monoxide detectors installed in your homes.

If you would like to follow news like this as soon as it happens you can follow me on twitter @PoPville here.

6 Comment

  • Sheesh, something ELSE to worry about?

  • I saw this on the news last night. Very sad. The man who died buried his wife earlier in the week, she had lost a battle with cancer. I believe the two females in the House were relatives that had come up for the funeral which had taken place earlier in the week. What a tragic way to start the holidays.

  • CO detectors, at least the one I have, simply plugs into an electrical outlet. I’d say “install” overstates the task, and it might scare some off as if you had to hire a handyman. Just buy one at the hardware store, and plug it in.

  • Terrifying. In college my off-campus house filled with carbon monoxide. We were really, really lucky. I have always, since then, had a CO detector and I get them for everyone I know. You just plug it into an outlet.

  • Actually, these can detect other gasses too. I had one in my last apartment. Went off, so I called the gas company, which tagged the stove, but also discovered that the levels were highest next to the air vents. So the gas company guy called the fire department, which came and evacuated us. Later discovered there had been a huge leak when they installed the hot water heater. Apparently it was so bad down in the boiler room they had to wear gas masks. We didn’t have hot water for three days, but then again the building didn’t explode.

Comments are closed.